Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 1-Supplies

My cake decorating endeavor of the day involved figuring out what supplies I will need. Not one, but two online class lessons focused on listing the necessary tools. After several trips to Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Michael’s, I now have five cake pans, two jellyroll pans, a spring form cake pan, lots of spatulas, pastry brushes, and one very long knife whose purchase prompted the cashier to ask me who I was planning to “chop up.” I failed to find the pastry triangle comb, and since I don’t know what it is or how it works, I have no idea if it is really a necessary tool. I guess I’ll find out soon. When I moved on to the part of the lesson that dealt with creating a “cake decorating workspace,” I realized that I am going to have to un-decorate our apartment kitchen to free more of the elusive counter space. The snack basket, decorative rolling pin (that never made much sense as a decoration anyway), martini shaker, and cookbooks are going to have to find new homes for the month. Tomorrow, I start planning cakes and maybe practicing with some frosting.

1 comment:

  1. Katharine, how can your fans order your cakes?

    Here is some info on triangle combs: http://www.akiskitchen.ca/tools/bakers_corner_cakes/cakes_tools_equpiment.html#pastrycomb

    Rupert

    ReplyDelete